March flash sale! Receive 40% off our March seminars.
This newly revised course has shifted online into two, half-day, live, instructor-led sessions. We recognize that online learning a vastly different experience from an in-person seminar and our instructors have adapted the interactive sessions to include regularly scheduled breaks and digital breakout rooms for group discussions. Our goal is to make your experience more convenient as we navigate the new reality of virtual learning.
March 30, 2023, 8:30am - 12:30pm
March 31, 2023, 8:30am - 12:30pm
This seminar reviews the Ontario Family Law Act and the legal, financial and taxation aspects of marriage, separation and divorce. The definitions and rules applicable to family property, the matrimonial home, child and spousal support obligations and domestic contracts are examined in some detail. The income tax rules and planning opportunities are also an aspect of this seminar.
The detailed implications of income tax and marital breakdown are more fully reviewed in the Family Law and the Income Tax Act seminar. Two instructors, a tax partner with a national firm, and a family law lawyer, will present this informative full-day course.
- Legal framework for family law (somewhat specific to Ontario)
- Definitions within the Act (spouse, separation, property, support)
- Family property - valuation, excluded property and the equalization process
- The new “Pension Splitting” rules
- Matrimonial home and the differences between married and unmarried couples
- Support obligations – child and spouse
- Domestic contracts – what can and cannot be covered in one
- The Income Tax Act and implications of separation
- Planning considerations in a corporate setting
WHO WILL BENEFIT
This seminar is ideal for those who want to understand the specific tax and legal rules related to the Income Tax Act and marital and family breakdown.